Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- New American food-stamp plantation is a SNAP
- Farm Bill or Food Stamp Bill?
- The Welfare Bill Masquerading as a Farm Bill
- Free Tax Preparation Now Available to Seniors, Low Income
- Confirmed: Huge Defense Cuts Coming
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- RINO Governor Daugaard Backs RINOs in Primary Again
There are some people you just know you can count on. You can count on them to put the greater good ahead of their own convenience or what's easy. You know you can count on them to do what's right. You can count on them to do what needs to be done. Then there are the Republicans In Name Only
- ‘Hating Jesus’: Liberals Declare Spiritual Warfare
Just a few short decades ago a churchgoing man who publicly supported the right to life, backed laws protecting marriage and spoke freely of Christ’s love for fallen man would be universally recognized as a fine and upstanding citizen. He would be welcomed anywhere, including at the highest
- Those Who Warn America Love America
It may seem all too rudimentary, but those who love their children warn, rebuke and punish them regularly. Those who do not do this don’t love their children, and we might say they actually hate them or at the least are
- Trump Tames Billary
Back in the days of the peace dividend, “Read my lips,” and “It’s the economy stupid,” we were told we got two for the price of one. And we sure did. One president to chase skirts in the Oval Office and one harridan to persecute his victims: Billary, the corrupt couple from
- On the Issues: Marilyn Oakes
American Clarion recently submitted a list of questions to Marilyn Oakes, a fresh candidate for the South Dakota House in District 30. These questions focused primarily on bills that were considered in the 2016 legislative session, to develop an idea of how the candidate might have voted on these
- Government-Ordained Preying on the Innocent!
Elijah Woods, actor of Lord of the Rings fame, in a manner similar to that of actor Corey Feldman, is coming forward to awaken the American people to the Pedophile organized parties in
- The Puritans, Part 3
God definitely had a plan to use the Puritans to help found the United States. As I made clear in part two, the events which brought their colony into existence were not luck. God was bringing the necessary events to
- Travis Lasseter: James, correct, they will do so. However, after spending 21 years in the medical field assisting medical doctors on……
- jjgrndisland: Funny, there is an atheist troll who lurks on conservative blogs, and his name is "Gott mit Uns." Probably……
- Thisoldspouse: Whoever is forgiven much, loves much.…
- Liberal K: Worth noting: The religion-haters love to lump Hitler in with the Christians, even though he clearly wasn't. However, Thomas……
- Thisoldspouse: I would also recommend Patriot Mobile (formerly EOS) for those looking for a cell phone service that doesn't bow to……
- retiredday: I think so too. People tend to take their blessings for granted. Plus, familiarity breeds contempt. So……
- Thisoldspouse: I think it often takes a convert from the socialistic system to fully appreciate and comprehend all of the truths……
- JamesBradshaw: "Yes, I first and foremost believe that women who go to the doctor have a right to know all the……
- Travis Lasseter: Norb, Thank you for the question. I believe you asked this also on my FB page and I……
- Kevin: I have to disagree with you David. Jesus said "it would be better...". What lays in store for this "distinguished"……