Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- New American food-stamp plantation is a SNAP
- Farm Bill or Food Stamp Bill?
- The Welfare Bill Masquerading as a Farm Bill
- Free Tax Preparation Now Available to Seniors, Low Income
- Confirmed: Huge Defense Cuts Coming
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Church Sign Declares: ‘Jesus Is God; Allah is Satan’
It’s quite rare to be part of a story on which I report, but this time I’m at Ground Zero. My church in Gulfport, Mississippi, Cowan Road Baptist Church, is the center of a growing story. In the wake of the horrific slaughter of at least 130 people in Paris by Muslim demoniacs, our Pastor,
- Homosexual Therapy Bans: Denying People Help
Just four states and the District of Columbia have banned “conversion therapy” or other Sexual Orientation Change Effort (SOCE) therapies. Yet, the national conversation is turning to stripping sexual minority youth of their rights to therapy—even voluntary therapy—for unwanted same-sex
- ObamaCare: The Predictable Collapse
Everyone knew that it was just a matter of time, but no one expected it to fail this fast. Yet, that is exactly what is happening, as bad news story after bad news story about the state of ObamaCare arrives on a seemingly weekly
- Manufacturing in the Left’s Crosshairs
If there is to be a renaissance of American manufacturing, Congress must act to run out the clock on this administration, and enable the next president to repair the damage done in its
- Education Establishment Sets Sights on More of Your Money
The South Dakota Blue Ribbon Task Force on education now has it's report out, and it's pretty much what thinking people expected all along: a call for more of your money to be spent on the education
- Rush Limbaugh and the Jihadi Singers on Fox News Sunday
Knowing that the Leftist "mainstream" media doesn't give a flying rip about facts or truth and only wants an opportunity to bash conservatives when they talk to them, radio host Rush Limbaugh seldom gives media interviews. But he appeared on Fox News Sunday yesterday because conservatives can still
- Syrian Refugees Need the Good Samaritan
The compassionate response is the Christian response. We must be “wise as serpents and innocent as doves”. It is possible to be at once wise and compassionate. The two are not mutually exclusive. Christ modeled for us the perfect solution to this problem with His parable of the Good
- Bob Ellis: Basically the insured are paying a considerable portion of the bill for the uninsured. It's what happens in this distorted, ……
- franklinb23: TOS: It was reported that an abdominal CT scan ran $2,400 for Blue Shield policyholders in California. If you're ……
- WXRGina: Yes, Spouse, you're right, and we're aware of this, too. …
- Thisoldspouse: Gina, I hope your pastor has an entourage of armed elders - literally. He has put himself in the ……
- Thisoldspouse: "The SBC may simply be compensating (or over-compensating) for their history." Which begs the question: Why only start compensating NOW? I'll concede ……
- Thisoldspouse: There are no "gay" children, only abused children. A disproportionately high number of self-identifying homosexual adults report to have ……
- Thisoldspouse: Actually, cash payments are considerably lower than what is charged the insurance companies. A bird in the hand... …
- Thisoldspouse: Extend this monstrosity to its "single payer" conclusion, and you have... Social Security. …
- JGravelle: Better headline: Baptists Proclaim Satan to be the God of Abraham ... …
- Bob Ellis: It's possible, though I doubt it's directly related to that. I think most Southern Baptists (especially since most are Republicans ……