Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- New American food-stamp plantation is a SNAP
- Farm Bill or Food Stamp Bill?
- The Welfare Bill Masquerading as a Farm Bill
- Free Tax Preparation Now Available to Seniors, Low Income
- Confirmed: Huge Defense Cuts Coming
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- New South Dakota Laws
South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard has signed the following bills into
- Party Over Principle? Where Democrats and Republicans Agree
Bernie Sanders “crushed” Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, so you’d expect him to have a big lead in delegates to the Democrat National Convention, wouldn’t you? But he doesn’t.
- The Battle of Bunker Hill: Part Two
Orders concerning what was to be done to prepare for the Battle of Bunker Hill came from General Ward, the man who would be the ranking officer until General Washington arrived. Frothingham explains what the orders were: “The detachment was placed under the command of Colonel Prescott, of
- When Insanity Reigns
When insanity reigns, we have a God-hating, anti-American president who assures us that the global weather (yes, it’s just weather), when somehow “miraculously” affected by my SUV, is the greatest threat we face, and millions of dupes believe
- The Battle of Bunker Hill: Part One
The Battle of Bunker Hill took place because it was the plan recommended by General Israel Putnam to lure the British army out of Boston and make them pay a dear price to take the hill. This is how the battle came about. The British had decided to take Dorchester Heights, and because of the
- Bernie Sanders Vote Wealth Redistributed to Hillary Clinton
It’s just not fair. Bernie Sanders worked hard to beat Hillary Clinton 60 percent to 38 percent in New Hampshire, and she will walk away with more delegates.
- Bush’s Decomposing Campaign Is Not Dead
One wonders if these professional politicians even consider what the heck they’re actually saying before they open their mouths from a communications
- Bob Ellis: Very true, DCM7. While distant starlight is indeed the most (and really only) problematic subject for a young-earth framework,……
- Bob Ellis: Facebook is a privately owned enterprise and is thus entitled to do whatever it wants--including not allowing the criticism of……
- DCM7: "I've examined the 'evidence' for a young Earth, such as it is. I have a background that includes astronomy, wherein……
- A Clarke: I'm assuming you'll get this ... and hopefully, you'll "get" this. Facebook’s “Civil Courage Online” Censorship Initiative Written by……
- retiredday: Well done! Your words have painted a picture of death and of life. Each person must make their……
- Bob Ellis: I don't "invite comment" (when you extend an open invitation, sometimes people of ill intent come a-calling); I allow comment.……
- A Clarke: You assume too much. I've examined the "evidence" for a young Earth, such as it is. I have……
- DCM7: "(the idiotic and unscientific claim that Earth is only a few thousand years old)" Well, that statement makes your position……
- Bob Ellis: Thanks for the background Gina. I see one piece of propaganda from him that wastes my time to even look……
- WXRGina: He responded here because I blacklisted him at BarbWire. He needs to tread carefully. By the way, BRAVO,……