Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Exposing Hillary’s Concealed Transparencies!
I can absolutely say, without reserve, that Hillary Rodham Clinton is a fraud from the top of her head to the soles of her feet. The way that she portrays herself, in contrast to who she really is, are two different revelations.
- The Crucifixion of Judge Roy Moore
Under the “progressive” leadership of Barack Obama and his like-minded “social justice” warriors throughout all levels of government, we have entered an era of lawlessness unprecedented in American history. This is no more apparent than in Alabama where Chief Justice Roy Moore of the
- When You Vote For a Man of Known Immorality…
In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate — look at his character. It is alleged by men of loose principles, or defective views of the subject, that religion and morality are not necessary or important qualifications
- It Is What It Is
As the weeks go by, the wheels are coming off FBI Director Comey’s whitewash of Hillary Clinton. He gave a laundry list of her criminality ending in “our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.”
- 2016 Election Bottom Line: More of the Same, or Something Different?
Gibbon actually was writing about the city-state Athens and its decline, but his words are a razor-sharp indictment of the United States of the past several
- GOP Backing Abortion in the South Dakota Legislature
Is there a Republican legislator in your district who is secretly an abortion-supporting Planned Parenthood minion ? If you live in Brookings or Sioux Falls (or District 34 in Rapid City), then there’s a pretty good chance that the answer to that question is
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Saved Dyer Woman $500
On October 18, 2016, I wrote a letter to a medical firm in northwest Indiana to help a client from Dyer, Indiana. With some editing to protect our client’s privacy, here is the letter that I
- Joseph Pi: Electing Hilary as President is a concrete mandate to her Queen ship. It will unravel after she is elected, the……
- SCIdirector: There is much to learn from a close study of the writings of Thomas Paine. 'Common Sense' and even the……
- Greg: Yes we are, Satan is on the doorstep...…
- Thisoldspouse: As dire a situation as you paint, Mr. Holt, I'm afraid you were still sugar coatimg the condition we're in.……
- Thisoldspouse: I know this sounds extreme, but we can never return to a constitutional concept of this nation while a significant……
- discusser4: It seems to me that the media is serving mainly as a conduit for women who were angry to hear……
- DCM7: It's always amusing, yet sad, how politicians will claim that they believe certain things and yet would not govern according……
- Kevin: Jake, I hate to be the one who tells you this, but we have not lived according to the Founders……
- Bob Ellis: Thanks. This election has proven that there's nothing but tatters left of the once-strong moral fiber that formed the……
- Bob Ellis: Thank you.…