Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- New American food-stamp plantation is a SNAP
- Farm Bill or Food Stamp Bill?
- The Welfare Bill Masquerading as a Farm Bill
- Free Tax Preparation Now Available to Seniors, Low Income
- Confirmed: Huge Defense Cuts Coming
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- South Dakota Primary Ballot Already Set
South Dakota’s June 7th primary ballots were printed and in possession of the County Auditors’ offices across the state for the start of Absentee Voting on April 22nd. Therefore presidential candidates suspending their campaigns after April 22nd will still be on the ballot for the South Dakota
- Election 2016: Toward the Cliff
Ben Shapiro at the Daily Wire says that those conservatives who deliberately sold out conservatism in this primary shouldn't be allowed or accepted as leaders after this trainwreck. But Shapiro's column also contained useful information for those who are wrestling with the question of whether they
- The People in the Mirror: What the 2016 Presidential Race Has Revealed
From an early age, most people understand that the image we see in a mirror isn’t completely “true.” The 2016 presidential primaries have revealed an image of America’s electorate that is the exact opposite of what it should be.
- Ted Cruz Suspends His Campaign – Now What?
I’ll let you in on a little secret. Are you listening? Good. Here it is: I’m tired. Call it Post-Indiana Gloom. A You Have GOT To Be Kidding blue funk. A Hoosier State Primary Upchuck. Specifically, I’m tired
- GOP Primary Voters Opt for Barabbas
The conclusion now appears inescapable that America has shouted "Give us Barabbas!" in the 2016 presidential race. We have rejected the best presidential candidate our nation has had since Ronald Reagan, in favor of a Democrat-with-an-"R"-after-his-name in the Republican primary. How have we sunk
- Lord Lead Us
Where does your heart live – do you live for now, or the future? Or are you caught up in yesterday? Where we live is not so important as how we live – where our hearts
- The Role of Government: A Fourteen-Year Old Gets It
Many people have taken stances on issues of morality based on “what appears to be” considered the “law” today, rather than on “what is” the law based on the liberty and equality of the Laws of Nature and Nature’s
- retiredday: Forget the lesser of two evils. I addressed that problem at http://www.americanclarion.com/2016/03/15/now-get-vote-43825/ "the only constitutional conservative in the……
- Eddie Clever: More discussion is needed about Vince Foster based on the ignored official Report http://www.fbicover-up.com/vincent-foster-report.html…
- Thisoldspouse: I'll agree with you to a point; the Christians who voted for Trump are likely so compromised, that they won't……
- Dawn Johnson Pence: I agree with you, Bob. I have held my nose at election time for the past 24 years -……
- retiredday: Conservatives who still look to a failed political party (failed in upholding conservative principles) are like Charlie Brown who keeps……
- Martina: There will be many tears by Christians that voted for Trump when they realize that he is not what they……
- DCM7: "I certainly doubt that god would be anything at all like what is believed by... 'insert religion here'……
- Edward MacGuire: I do not dismiss the possibility of a god. I certainly doubt that god would be anything at all……
- DCM7: "You are stating an argument from incredulity" It's not just a matter of me (or anyone) not believing that……
- Edward MacGuire: "That life's specified complexity is far beyond human capability to invent ..." You are stating an argument from incredulity,……