Under current law, interested participants who were receiving SNAP benefits prior to entering the CNCS volunteer program remain eligible to receive SNAP benefits even while receiving their taxpayer-funded CNCS volunteer stipend. The provision was designed to ensure that program participants would not have to choose between volunteering with CNCS and retaining their SNAP benefits. However, the use of this provision seems to have grown and has raised questions about whether CNCS actively played a role promoting the exploitation of this provision in order to allow program participants to double-dip into both the taxpayer-funded CNCS stipend and SNAP benefits. Because it is impossible to determine the amount of taxpayer dollars that are being used for SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, Thune and Sessions believe understanding the true cost of the CNCS programs involves looking deeper into the program, such as hidden costs like SNAP utilization amongst CNCS volunteers.
“The role of the SNAP program isn’t to provide additional money to paid government volunteers; it is to help feed hungry American families,” said Thune. “It appears that a significant number of CNCS volunteers are taking advantage of a special provision that was included by Congress to ensure that potential volunteers would not rule-out program participation due to fear of losing food stamp benefits, not to encourage volunteers to game the SNAP program. Given the strong desires to curb federal spending and cut waste, fraud, and abuse, we expect CNCS to respond to our questions without delay.”
“The food stamp budget has quadrupled over the past decade, thanks in good measure to active promotional efforts by the USDA that encourage food stamp use even when the recipient says they don’t need it,” said Sessions. “But now we’ve learned that a separate government agency—whose mission is to encourage volunteerism and community service—is using a loophole to further expand welfare enrollment without regard to need or qualification. The agency’s apparent encouragement to misuse these programs explains how we can spend so much money on welfare—equivalent to $60,000 for every household living beneath the poverty line—while failing to accomplish the goal of reducing poverty and expanding upward mobility. True compassion requires we reform this broken program.”
The Senators’ letter requests that CNCS provide their offices with answers to several questions about the use of SNAP benefits by CNCS volunteers, and provide relevant documents regarding the recruitment and regulation of volunteers that mention the SNAP program.
Click here to read the complete text of the Senators’ letter.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Video: Legislative Crackerbarrel Discussion of HB 1157
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City this morning, South Dakota Rep. Chip Campbell brought up HB 1157 which is the the agriculture future development subfund to provide funding for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic
- Federal Approval for South Dakota Gold Card Concealed Permit
South Dakota Attorney General Marty Jackley, Secretary of State Shantel Krebs and the South Dakota Sheriff’s Association confirm the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has determined that South Dakota’s Gold Card Concealed Pistol Permit and Enhanced Permit to
- Americans Honoring What Offends The Law!
The Virginia Bureau of Watchdog.org reported that Planned Parenthood contributed more than $1.7 million to McAuliffe’s gubernatorial campaign in 2013. Abortion industry lobbying organization NARAL donated $56,000 to his campaign, as
- Trump and the Deep State
As if to prove the point, Rush has once again coined a phrase that sums up a cultural phenomenon. He has dubbed those Progressives embedded within the federal bureaucracy the Deep State. This label perfectly describes those protected by the civil service acts as well as those political appointees
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Feb 17-23
This week's good, bad and ugly. Included: businesses fire promoters of lawlessness, Education Secretary believes boys should be in your daughter's restroom and locker room in school, illegal aliens get a pass, and Trump's Labor nominee in a sex
- What Judge Has NO Lawmaking Authority?
Following up on my column from two weeks ago where I explained the constitutionality of banning refugees that both presidents Obama and Trump initiated, I chose this week to ask the question, “What judge has no lawmaking authority?” The answer, of course, is any federal judge in these United
- Jane Roe, In Memoriam
I first met Norma McCorvey some 20 years ago, soon after her Christian conversion. That conversion set her against the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which legalized abortion, and in which she was the
- retiredday: There's an old saying, "Don't get mad. Get even." Law-biding traditionalists tend to allow this type of assault……
- A. Castellitto: Yep, spectacular decay rate projections & assumptions working the presuppositions…
- DCM7: Radiometric dating methods consistently date objects with known, recent ages as being thousands/millions of years old. Why should we trust……
- A. Castellitto: To be able to determine the age of anything you need a standard or barometer.... Anything past an absolutely verified……
- A. Castellitto: Good job Bob! Mr Macaulay has a good article as well..... Why does a president who is lawfully trying to……
- Bob Ellis: Fantastic place to start.…
- Easyrinos: Let's start with impeaching the judges that pulled their personal rulings out of a black hole in order to overrule……
- Easyrinos: OK, maybe one or two crawl out of the darkness into the light.…
- DCM7: Sounds like poo to me. Basically, this seems to be an example of the old tactic of pretending that people……
- Thisoldspouse: How does what you said have anything whatsoever to do with what was written in this article? Are you……