“You can say any fool thing to a dog and the dog will just give you this look that says, ‘My GOSH, you’re RIGHT! I NEVER would’ve thought of that!” ― Dave Barry
I read Mark Steyn’s book, After America some time ago. It is a compelling discussion about world demographics, birth rates, and the illegal [and non-assimilating] immigrant populations flooding into America and the rest of what is left of Western Civilization. Also discussed in this article are the long-term effects of decisions about married adults not having kids in America anymore.
I seem to recall reading in numerous places that anything less than three native born children per American family endangers societal viability and the sustainability of a distinct American culture. So it is disturbing to think that married Americans are adopting puppies instead of having children or adopting children. After all, God did say to Adam and Eve, “Be fruitful and multiply.” He did not say, “Raise puppies,” instead. Puppies and kids together, yes. Puppies alone, no. [Full disclosure: I love dogs. I have dogs … lots of dogs. I always have, and always will have.]
Many of the people who complain the most about the ever-increasing taxes they pay for the Social Secure, Medicare and Medicaid in the 22-45 year old range do not seem to realize that actions have consequences. If they have no children, there is no American replacement generation. There will be, instead, large numbers of unskilled, un-acculturated and un-assimilated immigrants filling these places who will pay few if any taxes on their low wages under current laws. They will, however, draw many welfare and healthcare benefits. Likewise, the burgeoning numbers of children born out-of-wedlock by irresponsible men and women, oblivious to the long-term effects on their children, and society at large, are growing and the resource base is shrinking. And, oh yes, your own “goodies” will decrement seriously over time. So, if there is no one to replace the native-born American parents [i.e., at least three to four children], then the burden of paying for society’s goodies for all of these new citizens will continue to fall mainly on them until the day they die.
So what do you all think is going to happen to taxes in this case? BINGO! Obamacare, Socialism and Serfdom that you will not enjoy, but that you will not expect until the bill hits you in the face. But don’t worry, you will soon adjust to your new status. You will pretend to work and pay taxes, and the Feds will pretend to provide Medical Care, retirement insurance and welfare. Sadly, this will also mean much fewer dog biscuits, fewer trips to the doggie spa, and decremented “Obamavet” care for Fido.
This wonderful Brave New World is coming to your town soon. In fact, its pre-conditions are all available to you right now:
- Just totally quit having native-born American babies
- Adopt dogs instead … especially those neutered and already waiting for you at the Animal Shelter.
- Increasingly allow the unskilled Third World to continue to invade America’s borders with illegal aliens seeking benefits [as any reasonable have-not would try to do].
- Accept multiculturalism as the proper “fix” to finish off the exceptional [but evil & colonialist] American culture.
- Pay higher and higher taxes until the day you die … become the 1% [but only in your mind]
- Forfeit your “estate” to the State when you die in order to keep this hellish system going just a little longer
And to think: American culture was once based on individual sovereignty, personal responsibility, Judeo Christian moral conscience, traditional families, and an opportunity to live freely and prosperously.
Now, Americans are encouraged to:
- Make scads of money as their first priority, to Heck with everyone else.
- Let someone else “have their back” while they protect no one.
- Use abortifacients, abortion and euthanasia to rid oneself of those bothersome responsibilities of parenthood and those less desirables in society.
- Indulge in material goods that are not really wanted, needed, of affordable.
- Adopt the latest religion du jour.
- Carpe diem, and Sayonara!
- Invest in green technologies like Soylent Green
OK, Campers. How long can we sustain the United States under such a scenario?
Honestly, I lay a large share of this decay at the feet of my own Baby Boomer generation. Many if not most Baby Boomers are self-obsessed and spoiled children: “Forever-Teenagers.” Our “Greatest Generation” parents were often co-dependent abettors while were growing up. They wanted their children to have everything that they did not have during the “Great Depression.” Our parents had large families that were far better off than they were growing up. They overpaid, they overplayed, and many ran to the rescue every time one of my ilk failed to mature as adults. We indulged as they indulged us.
The World Wars of the 20th Century created a heroic American society on the one hand. On the other hand, the stresses of war and urgencies and emotions of the moment perhaps further propelled the loosening morality and social values begun in the wake of the “War to End All Wars,” World War I, and the interwar period which was punctuated by the Great Depression. In a certain sense, our Baby Boomer grandparents tried to hang on to the America that had existed before and after WWI. I wonder if that incautious, immodest life-style in America and a growing loss of faith, coupled with the massive European debt following that war, eventually dragged us down too. The situation seems oddly similar in many respects today: Decay in America, Government solutions for every problem, and the “sick man,” Europe, that will bring us all down soon.
The big difference is family. In America, there is no strong family unit to hold people and society together any more. In the World War II era, the large family of many siblings and two parents was a glue. The growing disease of infidelity and divorce in my Boomer generation attacked that glue at its core: Children. Perhaps many of our young adults do not want kids because they fear that families are characterized by turmoil and not strength. Perhaps they inordinately fear discord and divorce, because that is what they saw and experienced growing up. If this is all true, then we are a nation going under.
Mitt Romney may well win this election. I hope he does. The Obama Alternative Universe would be an exponentially fast descent into serfdom; he has already laid that groundwork. But Mitt Romney can’t fix the broken family model in four or even eight years. That is up to future generations changing their minds about having a family, and making that choice soon. I do not know what to say to those who do not want a child, and instead prefer a dog [or dogs]. I guess I’d warn that someway, somehow you are going to regret not having those children. In any case, you will still be raising all of those other babies born out-of-wedlock, injured by broken social systems, and lacking parental tenderness, love and care. My wife and I tried to adopt children. We were empty nesters and we were in our fifties. After personally experiencing failed promises, broken hearts & broken kids, and seeing how miserably the states and feds manage their adoption and foster systems nationally, and in California and Florida in particular, we gave up … after four years of trying.
I can’t help but be sad and depressed by all of this. I wonder if it is too late to get some sled dogs and flee to a redoubt cabin somewhere in Alaska or in the NW Territories? Those dogs may not be able to work and pay taxes, but they can pull a sled and protect me from wolves and government tax collectors.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Inconvenient Truths About the Man-Made Global Warming Scam
Experts said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016; they were wrong. Texas has been cooling since 1895, but that doesn’t suit NOAA’s global warming agenda. So they keep cooling the past further and further to create the appearance of a warming trend.
- Is There Advent in Your Christmas?
That’s what “Happy Holidays” means, and that’s what “Merry Christmas” means in the secular world. But for Christians there is something much more important about Christmas than being merry. It is the very thing that is absent from any secular Christmas – it’s the Advent of the
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Cancel This Bill Too!
On December 6, 2016, I typed and sent a letter to a medical service provider for a senior citizen client from East Chicago, Indiana. The letter asked the chief executive officer and doctor of a medical service provider to cancel a bill that the firm had sent to our client. Here is the part of the
- The President’s Role with American Businesses
God-ordained Constitutional authority can always be used lawfully to accomplish the general welfare of Americans. It is when individuals in America blur the lines, speak to quickly, and don’t pay attention to their words and actions that American liberties are
- The Murderous Kleptocrat Fidel Castro is Dead
Fidel was a Stalinist to the core turning a new page in the Marxist mantra, ‘from each according to his ability to each according to his need.’ What this looked like in real time was “According to the scholars and researchers at the Cuba Archive, the Castro regime’s total death toll–from
- Carson Preps HUD for Surgery?
With the selection by President-elect Donald Trump of Dr. Ben Carson to be secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, we have a brilliant man of principle cast to step in to lead a $50 billion federal department with nationwide
- States: The Prime Battleground
Republicans will control both statehouses in 32 out of 50 states when state legislatures meet in 2017, and this does not include Nebraska which is unicameral and state candidates run as non-partisan. Of these 33 states, 25 have a Republican Governor, and in North Carolina the Governor can be
- JamesBradshaw: Like what laws in particular? With the exception of Reconstructionists or Dominionists, most Christians aren't interested in punishing people……
- Bezukhov: Trust is a two way street.…
- A. Castellitto: Interesting, what exactly do you mean?…
- DCM7: The fact that people on the "left" have only praise for such a person as Castro should tell you all……
- jerrydoubleu .: xtians sexually molest kids…
- Thisoldspouse: Because it makes insurance (risk management) NOT insurance, but wealth redistribution. That's problematic. It's problematic because the numerous,……
- Thisoldspouse: Those opposed to Christianity and the Christian God obviously have no part with the "Creator"-given rights mentioned in our founding……
- WXRGina: Hi, Spouse! Yes, I've been scarce, but still around. :-) We don't get into the commercialism……
- Thisoldspouse: We thought you had fallen off the edge of the earth, Gina. Good to see you back! I……
- Thisoldspouse: This is all a part of the great apostasy which was foretold. I don't think it's going to get better;……