“You can say any fool thing to a dog and the dog will just give you this look that says, ‘My GOSH, you’re RIGHT! I NEVER would’ve thought of that!” ― Dave Barry
I read Mark Steyn’s book, After America some time ago. It is a compelling discussion about world demographics, birth rates, and the illegal [and non-assimilating] immigrant populations flooding into America and the rest of what is left of Western Civilization. Also discussed in this article are the long-term effects of decisions about married adults not having kids in America anymore.
I seem to recall reading in numerous places that anything less than three native born children per American family endangers societal viability and the sustainability of a distinct American culture. So it is disturbing to think that married Americans are adopting puppies instead of having children or adopting children. After all, God did say to Adam and Eve, “Be fruitful and multiply.” He did not say, “Raise puppies,” instead. Puppies and kids together, yes. Puppies alone, no. [Full disclosure: I love dogs. I have dogs … lots of dogs. I always have, and always will have.]
Many of the people who complain the most about the ever-increasing taxes they pay for the Social Secure, Medicare and Medicaid in the 22-45 year old range do not seem to realize that actions have consequences. If they have no children, there is no American replacement generation. There will be, instead, large numbers of unskilled, un-acculturated and un-assimilated immigrants filling these places who will pay few if any taxes on their low wages under current laws. They will, however, draw many welfare and healthcare benefits. Likewise, the burgeoning numbers of children born out-of-wedlock by irresponsible men and women, oblivious to the long-term effects on their children, and society at large, are growing and the resource base is shrinking. And, oh yes, your own “goodies” will decrement seriously over time. So, if there is no one to replace the native-born American parents [i.e., at least three to four children], then the burden of paying for society’s goodies for all of these new citizens will continue to fall mainly on them until the day they die.
So what do you all think is going to happen to taxes in this case? BINGO! Obamacare, Socialism and Serfdom that you will not enjoy, but that you will not expect until the bill hits you in the face. But don’t worry, you will soon adjust to your new status. You will pretend to work and pay taxes, and the Feds will pretend to provide Medical Care, retirement insurance and welfare. Sadly, this will also mean much fewer dog biscuits, fewer trips to the doggie spa, and decremented “Obamavet” care for Fido.
This wonderful Brave New World is coming to your town soon. In fact, its pre-conditions are all available to you right now:
- Just totally quit having native-born American babies
- Adopt dogs instead … especially those neutered and already waiting for you at the Animal Shelter.
- Increasingly allow the unskilled Third World to continue to invade America’s borders with illegal aliens seeking benefits [as any reasonable have-not would try to do].
- Accept multiculturalism as the proper “fix” to finish off the exceptional [but evil & colonialist] American culture.
- Pay higher and higher taxes until the day you die … become the 1% [but only in your mind]
- Forfeit your “estate” to the State when you die in order to keep this hellish system going just a little longer
And to think: American culture was once based on individual sovereignty, personal responsibility, Judeo Christian moral conscience, traditional families, and an opportunity to live freely and prosperously.
Now, Americans are encouraged to:
- Make scads of money as their first priority, to Heck with everyone else.
- Let someone else “have their back” while they protect no one.
- Use abortifacients, abortion and euthanasia to rid oneself of those bothersome responsibilities of parenthood and those less desirables in society.
- Indulge in material goods that are not really wanted, needed, of affordable.
- Adopt the latest religion du jour.
- Carpe diem, and Sayonara!
- Invest in green technologies like Soylent Green
OK, Campers. How long can we sustain the United States under such a scenario?
Honestly, I lay a large share of this decay at the feet of my own Baby Boomer generation. Many if not most Baby Boomers are self-obsessed and spoiled children: “Forever-Teenagers.” Our “Greatest Generation” parents were often co-dependent abettors while were growing up. They wanted their children to have everything that they did not have during the “Great Depression.” Our parents had large families that were far better off than they were growing up. They overpaid, they overplayed, and many ran to the rescue every time one of my ilk failed to mature as adults. We indulged as they indulged us.
The World Wars of the 20th Century created a heroic American society on the one hand. On the other hand, the stresses of war and urgencies and emotions of the moment perhaps further propelled the loosening morality and social values begun in the wake of the “War to End All Wars,” World War I, and the interwar period which was punctuated by the Great Depression. In a certain sense, our Baby Boomer grandparents tried to hang on to the America that had existed before and after WWI. I wonder if that incautious, immodest life-style in America and a growing loss of faith, coupled with the massive European debt following that war, eventually dragged us down too. The situation seems oddly similar in many respects today: Decay in America, Government solutions for every problem, and the “sick man,” Europe, that will bring us all down soon.
The big difference is family. In America, there is no strong family unit to hold people and society together any more. In the World War II era, the large family of many siblings and two parents was a glue. The growing disease of infidelity and divorce in my Boomer generation attacked that glue at its core: Children. Perhaps many of our young adults do not want kids because they fear that families are characterized by turmoil and not strength. Perhaps they inordinately fear discord and divorce, because that is what they saw and experienced growing up. If this is all true, then we are a nation going under.
Mitt Romney may well win this election. I hope he does. The Obama Alternative Universe would be an exponentially fast descent into serfdom; he has already laid that groundwork. But Mitt Romney can’t fix the broken family model in four or even eight years. That is up to future generations changing their minds about having a family, and making that choice soon. I do not know what to say to those who do not want a child, and instead prefer a dog [or dogs]. I guess I’d warn that someway, somehow you are going to regret not having those children. In any case, you will still be raising all of those other babies born out-of-wedlock, injured by broken social systems, and lacking parental tenderness, love and care. My wife and I tried to adopt children. We were empty nesters and we were in our fifties. After personally experiencing failed promises, broken hearts & broken kids, and seeing how miserably the states and feds manage their adoption and foster systems nationally, and in California and Florida in particular, we gave up … after four years of trying.
I can’t help but be sad and depressed by all of this. I wonder if it is too late to get some sled dogs and flee to a redoubt cabin somewhere in Alaska or in the NW Territories? Those dogs may not be able to work and pay taxes, but they can pull a sled and protect me from wolves and government tax collectors.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Reviving the Remnant
All true Christians can easily discern there is something terribly, awfully wrong in this world today. I understand that many people are hopeful for America’s future under bold, new American leadership. To the “natural man” things may appear to be looking up. But, I’m afraid I am not
- Proud to Be a Pain
Important people in Washington and elsewhere want everyone in America to believe that the federal government can run things better than anyone else. But, if letting the federal government run our health care is such a great idea, why are there so many problems with Medicare, Medicaid, and
- Senators Russell, Jensen on Vehicle Bills, Gov. Daugaard Schmoozing, Strongarming Legislature
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City yesterday, South Dakota Senators Lance Russell and Phil Jensen discussed how the RINO leadership of the legislature uses "vehicle bills" that are voted on with no significant language and later have significant language inserted into them
- Science a Hot Topic at Rapid City Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City yesterday, South Dakota Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller brought up SB 55 which had been intended to allow teachers to discuss all sides of scientific inquiry which are aligned with the educational content standards already outlined in law. The bill
- Video: SD Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller at Rapid City Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting
South Dakota Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller was one of the featured speakers at the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City today. Frye-Mueller discussed the bill HB 1157 which is the the agriculture future development subfund to provide funding for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic
- Video: SD Senator Lance Russell at the Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting.
The latest legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City was held at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology this morning. There were again two separate meetings today, one hosted by the Rapid City Chamber of Commerce and another hosted by the SDSMT College Republicans; the former had a
- Video: Legislative Crackerbarrel Discussion of HB 1157
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City this morning, South Dakota Rep. Chip Campbell brought up HB 1157 which is the the agriculture future development subfund to provide funding for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic
- beethovens10th: I think Rob is right. As a whole, America's conscience has been seared, as with a hot iron.……
- Easyrinos: The thought-police have infiltrated cracker-barrels across the fruited plain. The more liberals speak, the more ignorant and afraid they sound.…
- Easyrinos: Planned Parenthood tweeted that at the veto, McAuliffe said, “Discrimination breeds hatred and we will not tolerate that here in……
- A. Castellitto: Trump is -or at least was- friends with pedo Epstein, supports SSM, & got rid of Flynn.... He's not exposing……
- Bob Ellis: So sad. Flake had lots of potential going in, but turned out to be such a disappointment (rather like Kristi……
- CoyoteJohnKerr: I am so fortunate to have two outstanding, conservative senators in John McCain and Jeff Flake. McCain, that stalwart……
- BenZacharia: "ARMS LENGTH TRANSACTIONS" Do not violate the letter or the spririt of the law. Do we know if any foriegn……
- Bob Ellis: Trump's record proves he's no conservative, but sadly I'd have to say that so far, he probably has a better……
- CoyoteJohnKerr: Thanks, Bob for another "politically incorrect" article. It is heartening to know that there are still people in this……
- retiredday: There's an old saying, "Don't get mad. Get even." Law-biding traditionalists tend to allow this type of assault……