A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; and no one illustrates this Principle better than Forbes’ writer Rick Unger in his article, “Congress Passes Socialized Medicine and Mandates Health Insurance – In 1798”, Washington Post writer Greg Sargent and Georgetown University history professor Adam Rothman.
In 1798, Congress passed An Act for the relief of sick and disabled Seamen which required the master of every American ship arriving from foreign ports to any port of the United States, and American ships engaged in the coastal trade using those ports, to pay a small fee to the federal government for every seaman employed on his ship. The funds so raised were used to care for sick and disabled seamen in the marine hospitals established in the ports of the United States.
So! Unger cited this 1798 Act and chortled with glee that our Framers supported “socialized medicine”; and so the “political right-wing” should stop “pretending” that our Founding Fathers would oppose ObamaCare.
Greg Sargent chimed in to the same effect, and quoted history professor Adam Rothman for the idiotic propositions that
“…the post-revolutionary generation clearly thought that the national government had a role in subsidizing health care … that in itself is pretty remarkable and a strong refutation of the basic principles that some Tea Party types offer … This defies a lot of stereotypes about limited government in the early republic.”
But Unger’s, Sargent’s and Rothman’s statements are so transparently ignorant they can be disposed of in a few paragraphs:
Congress’ Three Categories of Legislative Powers
One: Congress has only limited legislative powers over the Country at large. These legislative powers are restricted to war, international commerce & relations; and domestically, the creation of an uniform commercial system: weights & measures, patents & copyrights, a monetary system based on gold & silver, bankruptcy laws, and mail delivery. Various Amendments granted to Congress certain powers over civil rights. These enumerated powers are the only areas wherein the national government has lawful (constitutional) authority over The States and The People in The States. In all other matters [except those listed at Art. I, Sec. 10] the States and The People retained supremacy, independence, and sovereignty.
Two: Article I, Sec. 8, clause 17, U.S. Constitution, says:
“The Congress shall have Power To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislatures of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;” [boldface mine]
“Exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever” over “dock-Yards”. Do you see? It is this clause which grants to Congress authority to establish marine hospitals on dock-Yards belonging to the United States. Congress has a general legislative authority over the federal enclaves, such as dock-Yards. That legislative authority is limited only by the Bill of Rights.
In Federalist Paper No. 43 at 2., James Madison explains in three short paragraphs [read them!] why the federal government must have “complete authority” over the federal enclaves listed at Art. I, Sec. 8, cl.17.
Alexander Hamilton in Federalist No. 32 (2nd para), comments also on the grant of “EXCLUSIVE LEGISLATION” over the federal enclaves [capitals are Hamilton’s] in “The last clause but one in the eighth section of the first article…”
Do you see? That grant of “exclusive legislation” is restricted to the federal enclaves.
Three: Article IV, Sec. 3, cl. 2, grants to Congress the “Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States…” Madison shows in Federalist No. 43 at 5. that “the Territory” referred primarily to the Western Territory before it was formed into States.
That’s it, Folks!
So! While Rick Unger crowed in his article,
“While I’m sure a number of readers are scratching their heads in the effort to find the distinction between the circumstances of 1798 and today, I think you’ll find it difficult.”
It’s not difficult at all! All one has to do is read Art. I, Sec. 8, cl. 17, which permits Congress to make such a law for American ships using the dock-Yards belonging to the United States. That’s what “exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever” means. Do you see?
Congress has no such legislative authority for the Country at large. There, it is limited and enumerated.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- Buy Guns, Not Health Insurance
- Mike Rounds Lies about ObamaCare
- A Progressive Perverts the Commerce Clause; but O’Reilly Gets it Right!
- Executive Orders: Where is the Obama Admin Getting its Authority?
- Government Limited to Certain Enumerated Powers
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Finally, the Line RINOs Won’t Cross
Racist and former KKK leader David Duke from Louisiana has said he will run for the U.S. Senate as a Republican. Now, any serious student of history knows the Democrat Party has always been the party of racism and attempts to deny all Americans their God-given liberty, and it was the Democrats who
- The Art and the Rock
There are some who will rise (and maybe not). There are others who fall. They are sold out and were never right at all. They are those who claim to be of the faith. Yet they dread to be labeled and know not their
- Islamic Prayer is Not Peaceful: Bastille Day 2016
Faithful Mohammedan’s are committed to Jihad at first quietly subverting a non Mohammedan society while waiting for their population to reach that trigger point where they can then engage in offensive jihad. France is ahead of the United States in percentage of Mohammedan population in
- ‘Leave the Wolf Alone!’…Cried the Sheep
Author Tiffany Madison wrote, “Our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the
- Is the World Now Safe for Sodomy?
On April 2, 1917 President Woodrow Wilson asked Congress for a declaration of war against Germany, stating “The world must be made safe for democracy.” Has President Barack Obama now made the world "safe for
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Helped Army Vet Fight Fraud
On May 5, 2016, I wrote and typed a letter for an Army veteran to sign. He had brought papers to me for review and I agreed with him that the matter involved either Medicare fraud or serious mistakes. The client is from Crown Point,
- What Does GOP Reaction to Ted Cruz REALLY Say?
I’ve been hearing Republicans bemoan the lack of backbone in the party for years. Cry out for “another Ronald Reagan.” Leadership with some spine. A tireless defender of the Constitution. A courageous conservative willing to put Principle above party. Along comes Ted Cruz. And the GOP throws
- ramrodd: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their……
- DCM7: I've been amazed at how much denial there is about what the founding fathers actually said, although the false arguments……
- Bob Ellis: That's what I was able to find. The statement IS, however, in keeping with Washington's views on government……
- DCM7: This seems to settle the question: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/02/26/firearm/ The quote is neither genuine nor a fabrication, but misattributed to Washington……
- Richard Robinson: “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence…the……
- Kevin: Will You agree that TRUMP OR HILLARY will be the next President of this country? Regardless of your answer, we……
- True Story: I'm willing to bet he hasn't given one thing dime to Hillary. Trump, on the other hand....…
- AMERICANCITIZEN: You are supporting hillary. Quisling cowards like yourself always hide behind false words.…
- Finrod Felagund: I don't vote for Democrats, so I'm not voting for either Trump or Hillary.…
- EX-GOPJohnt: Nevertrump...you got conned by a NY liberal dirtbag that agreed with most of the Obama agenda. Sleazydonald has a 160……