Social Security benefits can represent a big stack of cash. A typical monthly benefit of $2,200 has a present value well over $500,000. Consider all your Social Security options carefully to avoid making a costly mistake.
Like all government law, Social Security is not a simple piece of legislation. Since the Social Security Act became law in 1935, hundreds of amendments have added to the complexity. To make the best decision, you must consider health, income before retirement, income during retirement and taxes.
Retirees cannot rely on commonly held beliefs. Don’t assume that simplistic rules such as “Always file for early benefits” or “You need to stop working to receive benefits” are correct. Specific cases break every rule of thumb. And these one-size-fits-all answers leave many retirees failing to maximize the benefits they have earned.
The decision is even more critical for women. For 42% of single women older than 62, Social Security is their sole source of income. Women on average outlive men. Thus planning for retirement is much easier for men, who tend to have more assets and die young. Widows are twice as likely to live under the poverty line as men who have lost their wives. And the poverty rate for elderly single women is 23% compared with just 5% for retired couples.
Couples must take their joint longevity into account before either one files for benefits. The person with the longer life expectancy will inherit either a wise or a foolish decision that will last a lifetime. Given that a husband’s benefits are often higher and the wife’s life expectancy longer, each case needs to be analyzed carefully.
Consider for illustration the case of James and Linda Miller. James was born in 1950 and is turning 62 this year. He will receive $2,384 a month at age 66, his full retirement age. Linda is three years younger and expects to receive a smaller benefit.
About three-quarters of Americans file for Social Security benefits before their full retirement age. This mistake is statistically most costly when the husband chooses to begin claiming at age 62. In this case, such a mistake would cost the Millers $152,046 in lifetime income.
Assuming normal life expectancies, Linda should file for benefits at age 63. James will be age 66 at that point and have the opportunity to pursue an often overlooked Social Security loophole. He can choose to file only for his spousal benefit and delay filing on his own benefit until age 70. We call this “File as a Spouse First,” or “FAASF.” You can see the results of this optimal strategy listed in the table. Each box represents the amount of total lifetime benefits that would be sacrificed if James and Linda did not file at their optimal ages.
The box representing when Linda is age 63 and James is age 70 captures the highest lifetime benefit. The highlighted box represents the ideal age combination when James is eligible to begin collecting his FAASF benefit while delaying his personal benefit.
Unfortunately, many people file after considering only one or two isolated options. The Social Security Administration’s new online filing system enables quick decision-making. People can easily submit their request without any professional advice or planning.
But before filing, you obviously should be informed about all the options. To begin, you need to know your personal Social Security earnings and the projected benefits for both you and your spouse. You can request an estimate at www.ssa.gov/estimator and then print the results. Or call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213. For a general review of Social Security, start by reading “Retirement Benefits” (Publication No. 05-10035) online.
Social Security planning is crucial for everyone. People with significant assets should carefully consider both the lifetime benefits and tax consequences of Social Security in light of their overall portfolio strategy. For the less well off, Social Security benefits will dictate their retirement lifestyle. Proper planning could well determine what they can afford to eat.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- Social Security and Your Safe Withdrawal Rate
- Give low-income earners exit from Social Security
- Is Social Security Stealing Your Chance Of Being A Millionaire?
- Christie’s Social Security reform hurts America, particularly minorities
- Give low income Americans exit option from Social Security
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- ‘Leave the Wolf Alone!’…Cried the Sheep
Author Tiffany Madison wrote, “Our Founders grasped that self-defense is three-fold: every free individual must protect themselves against the evil will of the man, the mob and the
- Is the World Now Safe for Sodomy?
On April 2, 1917 President Woodrow Wilson asked Congress for a declaration of war against Germany, stating “The world must be made safe for democracy.” Has President Barack Obama now made the world "safe for
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Helped Army Vet Fight Fraud
On May 5, 2016, I wrote and typed a letter for an Army veteran to sign. He had brought papers to me for review and I agreed with him that the matter involved either Medicare fraud or serious mistakes. The client is from Crown Point,
- What Does GOP Reaction to Ted Cruz REALLY Say?
I’ve been hearing Republicans bemoan the lack of backbone in the party for years. Cry out for “another Ronald Reagan.” Leadership with some spine. A tireless defender of the Constitution. A courageous conservative willing to put Principle above party. Along comes Ted Cruz. And the GOP throws
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Is it Free or Not Under ObamaCare?
A new client asked us for help with a bill that he got under Obamacare before he became a client of our agency. The client had been careful to read the details of the Obamacare “On Exchange” plan from an insurance company. Our client got stuck with a bill for
- The Democrat Platform Wants You to Pay for Murder!
In direct contradiction to America's founding document, the Democratic platform specifically states that abortion should be accessible no matter the woman’s financial situation and all obstacles to abortion should be removed. To do that, they want to repeal the unnecessary Hyde Amendment, which
- Thiel Republican Fans Out of Step With Reagan
Religious freedom is under daily threat by wealthy secular humanists like Peter Thiel, who use their wealth to force their values on the whole
- Richard Robinson: “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence…the……
- Kevin: Will You agree that TRUMP OR HILLARY will be the next President of this country? Regardless of your answer, we……
- True Story: I'm willing to bet he hasn't given one thing dime to Hillary. Trump, on the other hand....…
- AMERICANCITIZEN: You are supporting hillary. Quisling cowards like yourself always hide behind false words.…
- Finrod Felagund: I don't vote for Democrats, so I'm not voting for either Trump or Hillary.…
- EX-GOPJohnt: Nevertrump...you got conned by a NY liberal dirtbag that agreed with most of the Obama agenda. Sleazydonald has a 160……
- EX-GOPJohnt: You are part of the problem Kevin. Sleazydonald is unacceptable in every way imaginable. If we won't demand a modicum……
- DCM7: Carter may have been merely "religious" the whole time. That's a long way from "born again."…
- Kevin: The "lesser of two evils" argument will not work! It never did! The Bible tells us in Romans that there……
- Bob Ellis: I'm glad it's not on me to decide a person's salvation either. And I don't know whether anybody mentioned herein……