Social Security benefits can represent a big stack of cash. A typical monthly benefit of $2,200 has a present value well over $500,000. Consider all your Social Security options carefully to avoid making a costly mistake.
Like all government law, Social Security is not a simple piece of legislation. Since the Social Security Act became law in 1935, hundreds of amendments have added to the complexity. To make the best decision, you must consider health, income before retirement, income during retirement and taxes.
Retirees cannot rely on commonly held beliefs. Don’t assume that simplistic rules such as “Always file for early benefits” or “You need to stop working to receive benefits” are correct. Specific cases break every rule of thumb. And these one-size-fits-all answers leave many retirees failing to maximize the benefits they have earned.
The decision is even more critical for women. For 42% of single women older than 62, Social Security is their sole source of income. Women on average outlive men. Thus planning for retirement is much easier for men, who tend to have more assets and die young. Widows are twice as likely to live under the poverty line as men who have lost their wives. And the poverty rate for elderly single women is 23% compared with just 5% for retired couples.
Couples must take their joint longevity into account before either one files for benefits. The person with the longer life expectancy will inherit either a wise or a foolish decision that will last a lifetime. Given that a husband’s benefits are often higher and the wife’s life expectancy longer, each case needs to be analyzed carefully.
Consider for illustration the case of James and Linda Miller. James was born in 1950 and is turning 62 this year. He will receive $2,384 a month at age 66, his full retirement age. Linda is three years younger and expects to receive a smaller benefit.
About three-quarters of Americans file for Social Security benefits before their full retirement age. This mistake is statistically most costly when the husband chooses to begin claiming at age 62. In this case, such a mistake would cost the Millers $152,046 in lifetime income.
Assuming normal life expectancies, Linda should file for benefits at age 63. James will be age 66 at that point and have the opportunity to pursue an often overlooked Social Security loophole. He can choose to file only for his spousal benefit and delay filing on his own benefit until age 70. We call this “File as a Spouse First,” or “FAASF.” You can see the results of this optimal strategy listed in the table. Each box represents the amount of total lifetime benefits that would be sacrificed if James and Linda did not file at their optimal ages.
The box representing when Linda is age 63 and James is age 70 captures the highest lifetime benefit. The highlighted box represents the ideal age combination when James is eligible to begin collecting his FAASF benefit while delaying his personal benefit.
Unfortunately, many people file after considering only one or two isolated options. The Social Security Administration’s new online filing system enables quick decision-making. People can easily submit their request without any professional advice or planning.
But before filing, you obviously should be informed about all the options. To begin, you need to know your personal Social Security earnings and the projected benefits for both you and your spouse. You can request an estimate at www.ssa.gov/estimator and then print the results. Or call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213. For a general review of Social Security, start by reading “Retirement Benefits” (Publication No. 05-10035) online.
Social Security planning is crucial for everyone. People with significant assets should carefully consider both the lifetime benefits and tax consequences of Social Security in light of their overall portfolio strategy. For the less well off, Social Security benefits will dictate their retirement lifestyle. Proper planning could well determine what they can afford to eat.
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- Social Security and Your Safe Withdrawal Rate
- Give low-income earners exit from Social Security
- Is Social Security Stealing Your Chance Of Being A Millionaire?
- Christie’s Social Security reform hurts America, particularly minorities
- Give low income Americans exit option from Social Security
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- ISIS: Modern Day Global Version of Hitler’s SS
Most people did not know that Adolph Hitler was aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood, which was founded in Egypt in 1928 by Hassan al-Banna, a 22 year old Muslim who admired Adolph Hitler’s hatred of the Jews and persistently wrote to Hitler to express his admiration for Hitler and his desire for
- The Great Disconnect
Why have the descendants of the Founders, the Framers, and the Revolution fallen for the same swan song that has led so many others before us down the primrose path to authoritarianism, totalitarianism, despotism, and collapse? I believe it is because the average American has no frame of
- Ensuring Political Evil Continues
Why is America continuing to slide Leftward into evil? Is it because of all the Leftists? It's because Christians and other conservatives are enabling it.
- Libertarian Presidential Candidate Supports Carbon Tax
Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson says he is open to a carbon tax which essentially is a tax on producing coal, which will be passed on to consumers of electricity, including the industrial and manufacturing
- What America Needs Now, According to Our Founders
We the people are responsible for the corrupt government we have in Washington, D.C. We have tolerated the corruption, we have elected the constitutional ignoramuses, the reckless and the corrupt. We have rewarded them with re-election after re-election. We have not demanded of them the high
- Science Debunks Homosexual Propaganda
A new exhaustive scientific study conducted by two Johns Hopkins University scientists reveals that scientific evidence does not support the "born that way" claim regarding homosexuality or the "trapped in the body" so-called transgender claim.
- A Texas Judge’s Prayers and the First Amendment
The United States Code refers to the Declaration of Independence as the “organic law” of the United States. And the Declaration clearly claims that there is an Almighty Creator God, that our rights come from Him, and that the purpose of civil government is to protect and defend the God-given
- DCM7: I can't attest to how frequently people get "lured" into homosexual behavior, but I do know there are other ways……
- Michex: Homosexuals often "hit" on heterosexuals that they see as vulnerable to lure them into sexual acts and a life of……
- retiredday: "A new exhaustive scientific study conducted by two Johns Hopkins University scientists…evaluates data from over 200 peer-reviewed studies" = "bunk"……
- DCM7: It's always interesting how someone will pull out a single talking point as if it will settle the whole complex……
- Bob Ellis: Perhaps you should read the study, which goes into considerable detail on the subject. Then you might have a better……
- Tom Johnson: Since you are pushing this bunk, please explain to me in detail the moment you made the choice and how……
- retiredday: So, where are all the proud science-deniers, hmm?…
- Thisoldspouse: The left's hatred of God and Jesus is more than demonstrated in their actions, not their words. The left……
- Thisoldspouse: Every argument used by the murderous left to justify the taking of an unborn life can be made for someone……
- DCM7: "Every human being, born or yet born, is a precious individual... created in the image and likeness of a holy……