Are you one of those poor folks who are scratching your head trying to figure out why the “Republican” leadership in Pierre doesn’t really seem too serious about stopping the implementation of PPACA (Obama-care) in South Dakota ?
If so, then we suggest you check out this list of South Dakota legislators and at least one prominent executive branch employee who received campaign money from a Political Action Committee controlled by the American Hospital Association (A.H.A) known as the SOUTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS (SDHOA).
In fact, here’s a small excerpt from that campaign finance report:
According to a Jan. 3, 2011 article in the Weekly Standard:
“The A.H.A supported Obama-care in exchange for certain concessions.” One of the most well-known concessions is “a provision in Section 6001 of the health-care bill that bans new physician-owned hospitals from starting up, and keeps existing ones from expanding.”
Stated differently, this provision helps guarantee that any current A.H.A. – affiliated hospitals will be able to operate in the future without any worries about additional competition coming from hospitals owned by physicians.
Can you say “Crony Capitalism”? You’d better believe it.
But if that weren’t bad enough, here’s where the story gets even worse:
This campaign finance report shows that no less than 15 members of the South Dakota State Senate and 34 members of the South Dakota House received money from the Political Action Committee of this Pro-Obama-care organization.
In fact, the A.H.A. – an organization which has a VESTED INTEREST in seeing Obama-care stay intact, spent over $40,000 dollars funding South Dakota legislative candidates in the 2010 election cycle. Here’s a breakdown by party:
As you can see, the A.H.A. spent over 82% of their PAC money to fund incumbents who were the most likely to already be in positions of authority in Pierre. Among those receiving PAC money from the A.H.A were the governor and many members of both the Republican and Democrat leadership in the House and the Senate including:
Gov. Dennis Daugaard – ($ 7,500.00), Val Rausch –Speaker of the House (R) ( $ 1000.00),
Senate Majority Whip Tim Rave (R) ($ 1500.00), Russ Olson – Senate Majority Leader (R ) – ($ 750.00),
Bernie Hunhoff (D)- House Minority Leader ( $1000.00), David Lust– House Majority Leader (R) ($500.00)
Senate President Pro- Tem- Bob Gray (R) ($ 500.00), House Asst. Majority Leader Justin Cronin (R) ($ 500.00), and House Speaker Pro-Tem:- Brian Gosch (R) ( $ 250.00)
What is the “bottom line” now that we know about this money that was spread around by the Pro-Obama-care SDHOA PAC to help pave the way for government-controlled health-care in South Dakota ?
To summarize, we now have 35 Republican and 13 Democrat legislators who received money from this Pro-Obama-care PAC who are now current members of the South Dakota House and Senate. This number includes almost ALL the members of House and Senate leadership in BOTH parties.
It is now becoming apparent to us that our governor and state representatives are selling the control of our personal health-care choices to big government and its crony-capitalist friends.
They are doing so in exchange for campaign money from a deep-pocketed special interest group that is seeking to enrich their health-care businesses at tax-payer expense– while at the same time protecting themselves from competition with help from their friends and cronies in both our national and state governments.
So now comes the difficult question: Now that we know the severity of the problem, what can we do to correct it ?
Here are some suggestions to get you started :
1. See if your current senator or representative is on the list and if they are—DON’T SEND THEM ANY MORE MONEY !!
2. See if your current senator or representative has someone challenging them in the primary. If they don’t, then volunteer to be a candidate or encourage an anti-Obama-care candidate to run against them in the primary.
3. Donate money to candidates who are running AGAINST the “Pro-Obama-care” candidate in your district and other districts across the state.
4. Inform your current representatives in Pierre that you are disappointed and disgusted with their acceptance of campaign money from “Pro-Obama-care” organizations and urge them to give the money back.
5. Inform your current representatives that you fully expect them to support a FULL REPEAL of SB 38 and SB 43 in the current legislative session, or at the very least, pass a provision to be added to each bill that would repeal the provisions of SB 38 and SB 43 if even just the “individual mandate” portion of Obama-care is declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.
^ Note: (The House actually VOTED DOWN on a vote of 53-16 an amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell that would have stopped the implementation of Obama-care in S.D. if even PART of the law is declared unconstitutional.)
You can view the offered amendment online at: http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2012/Journals.aspx?Committee=76&File=jrnH02141300.htm#7639
Here is the House Journal summary of the amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell:
Rep. Russell moved that HB 1220 be amended as follows:
On page 1, line 10, of the printed bill, after “entirety” insert “or in part”. A roll call vote was requested and supported.
The question being on Rep. Russell’s motion that HB 1220 be amended.
And the roll being called: Yeas 16, Nays 53, Excused 1, Absent 0 Yeas: Greenfield; Haggar; Hansen (Jon); Hickey; Hubbel; Jensen; Kopp; Liss; Miller; Nelson (Stace); Olson (Betty); Russell; Steele; Tornow; Venner; Verchio
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Inconvenient Truths About the Man-Made Global Warming Scam
Experts said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016; they were wrong. Texas has been cooling since 1895, but that doesn’t suit NOAA’s global warming agenda. So they keep cooling the past further and further to create the appearance of a warming trend.
- Is There Advent in Your Christmas?
That’s what “Happy Holidays” means, and that’s what “Merry Christmas” means in the secular world. But for Christians there is something much more important about Christmas than being merry. It is the very thing that is absent from any secular Christmas – it’s the Advent of the
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Cancel This Bill Too!
On December 6, 2016, I typed and sent a letter to a medical service provider for a senior citizen client from East Chicago, Indiana. The letter asked the chief executive officer and doctor of a medical service provider to cancel a bill that the firm had sent to our client. Here is the part of the
- The President’s Role with American Businesses
God-ordained Constitutional authority can always be used lawfully to accomplish the general welfare of Americans. It is when individuals in America blur the lines, speak to quickly, and don’t pay attention to their words and actions that American liberties are
- The Murderous Kleptocrat Fidel Castro is Dead
Fidel was a Stalinist to the core turning a new page in the Marxist mantra, ‘from each according to his ability to each according to his need.’ What this looked like in real time was “According to the scholars and researchers at the Cuba Archive, the Castro regime’s total death toll–from
- Carson Preps HUD for Surgery?
With the selection by President-elect Donald Trump of Dr. Ben Carson to be secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, we have a brilliant man of principle cast to step in to lead a $50 billion federal department with nationwide
- States: The Prime Battleground
Republicans will control both statehouses in 32 out of 50 states when state legislatures meet in 2017, and this does not include Nebraska which is unicameral and state candidates run as non-partisan. Of these 33 states, 25 have a Republican Governor, and in North Carolina the Governor can be
- JamesBradshaw: Like what laws in particular? With the exception of Reconstructionists or Dominionists, most Christians aren't interested in punishing people……
- Bezukhov: Trust is a two way street.…
- A. Castellitto: Interesting, what exactly do you mean?…
- DCM7: The fact that people on the "left" have only praise for such a person as Castro should tell you all……
- jerrydoubleu .: xtians sexually molest kids…
- Thisoldspouse: Because it makes insurance (risk management) NOT insurance, but wealth redistribution. That's problematic. It's problematic because the numerous,……
- Thisoldspouse: Those opposed to Christianity and the Christian God obviously have no part with the "Creator"-given rights mentioned in our founding……
- WXRGina: Hi, Spouse! Yes, I've been scarce, but still around. :-) We don't get into the commercialism……
- Thisoldspouse: We thought you had fallen off the edge of the earth, Gina. Good to see you back! I……
- Thisoldspouse: This is all a part of the great apostasy which was foretold. I don't think it's going to get better;……