Are you one of those poor folks who are scratching your head trying to figure out why the “Republican” leadership in Pierre doesn’t really seem too serious about stopping the implementation of PPACA (Obama-care) in South Dakota ?
If so, then we suggest you check out this list of South Dakota legislators and at least one prominent executive branch employee who received campaign money from a Political Action Committee controlled by the American Hospital Association (A.H.A) known as the SOUTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS (SDHOA).
In fact, here’s a small excerpt from that campaign finance report:
According to a Jan. 3, 2011 article in the Weekly Standard:
“The A.H.A supported Obama-care in exchange for certain concessions.” One of the most well-known concessions is “a provision in Section 6001 of the health-care bill that bans new physician-owned hospitals from starting up, and keeps existing ones from expanding.”
Stated differently, this provision helps guarantee that any current A.H.A. – affiliated hospitals will be able to operate in the future without any worries about additional competition coming from hospitals owned by physicians.
Can you say “Crony Capitalism”? You’d better believe it.
But if that weren’t bad enough, here’s where the story gets even worse:
This campaign finance report shows that no less than 15 members of the South Dakota State Senate and 34 members of the South Dakota House received money from the Political Action Committee of this Pro-Obama-care organization.
In fact, the A.H.A. – an organization which has a VESTED INTEREST in seeing Obama-care stay intact, spent over $40,000 dollars funding South Dakota legislative candidates in the 2010 election cycle. Here’s a breakdown by party:
As you can see, the A.H.A. spent over 82% of their PAC money to fund incumbents who were the most likely to already be in positions of authority in Pierre. Among those receiving PAC money from the A.H.A were the governor and many members of both the Republican and Democrat leadership in the House and the Senate including:
Gov. Dennis Daugaard – ($ 7,500.00), Val Rausch –Speaker of the House (R) ( $ 1000.00),
Senate Majority Whip Tim Rave (R) ($ 1500.00), Russ Olson – Senate Majority Leader (R ) – ($ 750.00),
Bernie Hunhoff (D)- House Minority Leader ( $1000.00), David Lust– House Majority Leader (R) ($500.00)
Senate President Pro- Tem- Bob Gray (R) ($ 500.00), House Asst. Majority Leader Justin Cronin (R) ($ 500.00), and House Speaker Pro-Tem:- Brian Gosch (R) ( $ 250.00)
What is the “bottom line” now that we know about this money that was spread around by the Pro-Obama-care SDHOA PAC to help pave the way for government-controlled health-care in South Dakota ?
To summarize, we now have 35 Republican and 13 Democrat legislators who received money from this Pro-Obama-care PAC who are now current members of the South Dakota House and Senate. This number includes almost ALL the members of House and Senate leadership in BOTH parties.
It is now becoming apparent to us that our governor and state representatives are selling the control of our personal health-care choices to big government and its crony-capitalist friends.
They are doing so in exchange for campaign money from a deep-pocketed special interest group that is seeking to enrich their health-care businesses at tax-payer expense– while at the same time protecting themselves from competition with help from their friends and cronies in both our national and state governments.
So now comes the difficult question: Now that we know the severity of the problem, what can we do to correct it ?
Here are some suggestions to get you started :
1. See if your current senator or representative is on the list and if they are—DON’T SEND THEM ANY MORE MONEY !!
2. See if your current senator or representative has someone challenging them in the primary. If they don’t, then volunteer to be a candidate or encourage an anti-Obama-care candidate to run against them in the primary.
3. Donate money to candidates who are running AGAINST the “Pro-Obama-care” candidate in your district and other districts across the state.
4. Inform your current representatives in Pierre that you are disappointed and disgusted with their acceptance of campaign money from “Pro-Obama-care” organizations and urge them to give the money back.
5. Inform your current representatives that you fully expect them to support a FULL REPEAL of SB 38 and SB 43 in the current legislative session, or at the very least, pass a provision to be added to each bill that would repeal the provisions of SB 38 and SB 43 if even just the “individual mandate” portion of Obama-care is declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.
^ Note: (The House actually VOTED DOWN on a vote of 53-16 an amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell that would have stopped the implementation of Obama-care in S.D. if even PART of the law is declared unconstitutional.)
You can view the offered amendment online at: http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2012/Journals.aspx?Committee=76&File=jrnH02141300.htm#7639
Here is the House Journal summary of the amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell:
Rep. Russell moved that HB 1220 be amended as follows:
On page 1, line 10, of the printed bill, after “entirety” insert “or in part”. A roll call vote was requested and supported.
The question being on Rep. Russell’s motion that HB 1220 be amended.
And the roll being called: Yeas 16, Nays 53, Excused 1, Absent 0 Yeas: Greenfield; Haggar; Hansen (Jon); Hickey; Hubbel; Jensen; Kopp; Liss; Miller; Nelson (Stace); Olson (Betty); Russell; Steele; Tornow; Venner; Verchio
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
- Corruption on Parade in the South Dakota House
- SD Gubernatorial Candidate Lora Hubbel on ObamaCare in South Dakota
- Questions About ObamaCare in South Dakota
- 2015 South Dakota Freedom Index Released
- 2013 South Dakota Freedom Index
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Unsung Disciple Johnny Cash
On the 26th of this month, legendary singer/song-writer and iced-cool customer Johnny Cash would have celebrated his 85th birthday. Even as I write, his live version of “Folsom Prison Blues” click-clacks through my earbuds like a Southern Pacific boxcar over oily railroad
- We Get Exactly the Kind of Government We Deserve – So Wake Up!
I put the promises of career politicians in the same category as the unctuous words and promises of hormone-driven teenage boys to young girls – not “lies,” exactly, for they really mean it when they say it. But will they mean it afterwards? In both cases, you’d get a hearty laugh as an
- SOS: Speaking of Seniors – Seniors and Starfish
Several years before Obamacare became law, I estimated that senior citizens on Medicare were being overcharged on medical bills by over one billion dollars per year. Things have gotten worse since. I told my friend that I sometimes feel like I am not making a difference and it really bothers me at
- Church Sues California Over Mandated Abortion Coverage
Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys filed a lawsuit in state court Thursday against the California Department of Managed Health Care for forcing churches to pay for elective abortions in their health insurance plans.
- Donald Trump: The Poor Substitute
We may not be humbling ourselves, but we are most certainly humiliating ourselves. Greatness is a matter of character, not cash, and when we canonize the egos of the successful, we are never so poor as a
- A Glutton for Punishment: The Missed Lessons of Obama
Outside of the fact that a good portion of Americans believe that the Clintons operate outside and above American Laws, the Clintons, along with other criminal players, have gotten America’s eyes off of Oregon.
- Do They Really Report and We Decide?
Americans will get the president they deserve. Like children, most Americans expect someone else to take care of them. They expect entities such as government, political parties, insurance companies or financial institutions to provide them prosperity, security, physical safety, comfort and
- Thisoldspouse: The State of California, like most modern leftist regimes, think that they're above the law and can violate it at……
- Thisoldspouse: I am utterly speechless how any conservative can support this.…
- Bob Ellis: For some reason, the numbers are getting covered by an ad. The formatting isn't cooperating well. Here's what they……
- retiredday: What happened to 4-6?…
- Gyst53: See any similarities from Paul's warning to our behavior today? The apostle Paul similarly foretold the overall self-seeking mind-set……
- Thisoldspouse: LOL!!! Freedom of choice - for leftists. For conservatives, not so much when it comes to school choice,……
- WXRGina: AFV, your obtuseness and senseless insults against us are wearing quite thin. You clearly have no interest in truth……
- Bob Ellis: Spoiled children worry about "you lost" rather than facts and morality. I don't know your age, but try to……
- DCM7: "There's not enough of you to turn back the time to back alley abortions." You think that's what we want?……
- Bob Ellis: Do you know what "fetus" really means? It means "offspring of a mammal," or to go back further, the Latin……