Are you one of those poor folks who are scratching your head trying to figure out why the “Republican” leadership in Pierre doesn’t really seem too serious about stopping the implementation of PPACA (Obama-care) in South Dakota ?
If so, then we suggest you check out this list of South Dakota legislators and at least one prominent executive branch employee who received campaign money from a Political Action Committee controlled by the American Hospital Association (A.H.A) known as the SOUTH DAKOTA ASSOCIATION OF HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS (SDHOA).
In fact, here’s a small excerpt from that campaign finance report:
According to a Jan. 3, 2011 article in the Weekly Standard:
“The A.H.A supported Obama-care in exchange for certain concessions.” One of the most well-known concessions is “a provision in Section 6001 of the health-care bill that bans new physician-owned hospitals from starting up, and keeps existing ones from expanding.”
Stated differently, this provision helps guarantee that any current A.H.A. – affiliated hospitals will be able to operate in the future without any worries about additional competition coming from hospitals owned by physicians.
Can you say “Crony Capitalism”? You’d better believe it.
But if that weren’t bad enough, here’s where the story gets even worse:
This campaign finance report shows that no less than 15 members of the South Dakota State Senate and 34 members of the South Dakota House received money from the Political Action Committee of this Pro-Obama-care organization.
In fact, the A.H.A. – an organization which has a VESTED INTEREST in seeing Obama-care stay intact, spent over $40,000 dollars funding South Dakota legislative candidates in the 2010 election cycle. Here’s a breakdown by party:
As you can see, the A.H.A. spent over 82% of their PAC money to fund incumbents who were the most likely to already be in positions of authority in Pierre. Among those receiving PAC money from the A.H.A were the governor and many members of both the Republican and Democrat leadership in the House and the Senate including:
Gov. Dennis Daugaard – ($ 7,500.00), Val Rausch –Speaker of the House (R) ( $ 1000.00),
Senate Majority Whip Tim Rave (R) ($ 1500.00), Russ Olson – Senate Majority Leader (R ) – ($ 750.00),
Bernie Hunhoff (D)- House Minority Leader ( $1000.00), David Lust– House Majority Leader (R) ($500.00)
Senate President Pro- Tem- Bob Gray (R) ($ 500.00), House Asst. Majority Leader Justin Cronin (R) ($ 500.00), and House Speaker Pro-Tem:- Brian Gosch (R) ( $ 250.00)
What is the “bottom line” now that we know about this money that was spread around by the Pro-Obama-care SDHOA PAC to help pave the way for government-controlled health-care in South Dakota ?
To summarize, we now have 35 Republican and 13 Democrat legislators who received money from this Pro-Obama-care PAC who are now current members of the South Dakota House and Senate. This number includes almost ALL the members of House and Senate leadership in BOTH parties.
It is now becoming apparent to us that our governor and state representatives are selling the control of our personal health-care choices to big government and its crony-capitalist friends.
They are doing so in exchange for campaign money from a deep-pocketed special interest group that is seeking to enrich their health-care businesses at tax-payer expense– while at the same time protecting themselves from competition with help from their friends and cronies in both our national and state governments.
So now comes the difficult question: Now that we know the severity of the problem, what can we do to correct it ?
Here are some suggestions to get you started :
1. See if your current senator or representative is on the list and if they are—DON’T SEND THEM ANY MORE MONEY !!
2. See if your current senator or representative has someone challenging them in the primary. If they don’t, then volunteer to be a candidate or encourage an anti-Obama-care candidate to run against them in the primary.
3. Donate money to candidates who are running AGAINST the “Pro-Obama-care” candidate in your district and other districts across the state.
4. Inform your current representatives in Pierre that you are disappointed and disgusted with their acceptance of campaign money from “Pro-Obama-care” organizations and urge them to give the money back.
5. Inform your current representatives that you fully expect them to support a FULL REPEAL of SB 38 and SB 43 in the current legislative session, or at the very least, pass a provision to be added to each bill that would repeal the provisions of SB 38 and SB 43 if even just the “individual mandate” portion of Obama-care is declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.
^ Note: (The House actually VOTED DOWN on a vote of 53-16 an amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell that would have stopped the implementation of Obama-care in S.D. if even PART of the law is declared unconstitutional.)
You can view the offered amendment online at: http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2012/Journals.aspx?Committee=76&File=jrnH02141300.htm#7639
Here is the House Journal summary of the amendment to HB 1220 offered by Rep. Lance Russell:
Rep. Russell moved that HB 1220 be amended as follows:
On page 1, line 10, of the printed bill, after “entirety” insert “or in part”. A roll call vote was requested and supported.
The question being on Rep. Russell’s motion that HB 1220 be amended.
And the roll being called: Yeas 16, Nays 53, Excused 1, Absent 0 Yeas: Greenfield; Haggar; Hansen (Jon); Hickey; Hubbel; Jensen; Kopp; Liss; Miller; Nelson (Stace); Olson (Betty); Russell; Steele; Tornow; Venner; Verchio
This article is printed with the permission of the author(s). Opinions expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted therein, and do not necessarily represent those of American Clarion or Dakota Voice LLC.
Comment Rules: Please confine comments to salient ones that add to the topic; Profanity is not allowed and will be deleted; Spam, copied statements and other material not comprised of the reader’s own opinion will be deleted.
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to receive the daily American Clarion article digest, with links to articles.
Recent American Clarion Articles
- Reviving the Remnant
All true Christians can easily discern there is something terribly, awfully wrong in this world today. I understand that many people are hopeful for America’s future under bold, new American leadership. To the “natural man” things may appear to be looking up. But, I’m afraid I am not
- Proud to Be a Pain
Important people in Washington and elsewhere want everyone in America to believe that the federal government can run things better than anyone else. But, if letting the federal government run our health care is such a great idea, why are there so many problems with Medicare, Medicaid, and
- Senators Russell, Jensen on Vehicle Bills, Gov. Daugaard Schmoozing, Strongarming Legislature
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City yesterday, South Dakota Senators Lance Russell and Phil Jensen discussed how the RINO leadership of the legislature uses "vehicle bills" that are voted on with no significant language and later have significant language inserted into them
- Science a Hot Topic at Rapid City Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City yesterday, South Dakota Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller brought up SB 55 which had been intended to allow teachers to discuss all sides of scientific inquiry which are aligned with the educational content standards already outlined in law. The bill
- Video: SD Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller at Rapid City Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting
South Dakota Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller was one of the featured speakers at the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City today. Frye-Mueller discussed the bill HB 1157 which is the the agriculture future development subfund to provide funding for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic
- Video: SD Senator Lance Russell at the Legislative Crackerbarrel Meeting.
The latest legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City was held at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology this morning. There were again two separate meetings today, one hosted by the Rapid City Chamber of Commerce and another hosted by the SDSMT College Republicans; the former had a
- Video: Legislative Crackerbarrel Discussion of HB 1157
During the legislative crackerbarrel meeting in Rapid City this morning, South Dakota Rep. Chip Campbell brought up HB 1157 which is the the agriculture future development subfund to provide funding for the State Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic
- Easyrinos: The thought-police have infiltrated cracker-barrels across the fruited plain. The more liberals speak, the more ignorant and afraid they sound.…
- Easyrinos: Planned Parenthood tweeted that at the veto, McAuliffe said, “Discrimination breeds hatred and we will not tolerate that here in……
- A. Castellitto: Trump is -or at least was- friends with pedo Epstein, supports SSM, & got rid of Flynn.... He's not exposing……
- Bob Ellis: So sad. Flake had lots of potential going in, but turned out to be such a disappointment (rather like Kristi……
- CoyoteJohnKerr: I am so fortunate to have two outstanding, conservative senators in John McCain and Jeff Flake. McCain, that stalwart……
- BenZacharia: "ARMS LENGTH TRANSACTIONS" Do not violate the letter or the spririt of the law. Do we know if any foriegn……
- Bob Ellis: Trump's record proves he's no conservative, but sadly I'd have to say that so far, he probably has a better……
- CoyoteJohnKerr: Thanks, Bob for another "politically incorrect" article. It is heartening to know that there are still people in this……
- retiredday: There's an old saying, "Don't get mad. Get even." Law-biding traditionalists tend to allow this type of assault……
- A. Castellitto: Yep, spectacular decay rate projections & assumptions working the presuppositions…